Monday, February 20, 2012

Lab 15 - Improving Teaching Skills

1. Reflect upon your lab teaching experience. Describe your teaching strengths and weaknesses for teaching in this lab. 
Todays teaching was a great experience in which I was able to receive feedback from my peers about my teaching. Some of the strengths in my short lesson that I taught were; I had great eye attractive and simple props for my students to pass around and look at. This really helped them to become involved and actually physically see where and what the heart and lungs look like. Another strength that I personally thought I had in my lesson was the inclusion of not just physical activity but actual information and cognitive learning. The main weakness that I personally believe that I had in my lesson was the idea that I was not talking on an elementary level to my students. I was more straight forward with my teaching instead of being more "babyish" like, slowly presenting my lesson. I will definitely have to work on that. One other weakness that I noticed after my teaching was that I did not plan correctly on the time of my lesson. I probably could of added one more activity into my teaching. Otherwise I thought it was a great learning experience.

2. Identify one of your most effective teachers. What teaching behaviors did you admire most in the way he/she taught?
What is an effective teacher I ask myself. The answer is quite simple, an effective teaching is someone who never stops developing and refining their teaching skills. One of the most effective teachers I known in my life would have to be a teacher that I observed at a High School back home. She was able to tweak each lesson based on the students abilities in the class. She also has been teaching for 20+ years and she still tells me that she switches up her lessons plans based on the incoming students for the new year. Yet again, this teacher I observed helped write the P.E. Profile. So it was great seeing an effective teacher in action.

3. What goals will you set for yourself as you prepare to teach in the Education 300 Field Experience?
A few goals that I will set for myself as I prepare to teach in the Education 300 Field Experience would be:

  • teach using elementary level language and tone to my students
  • develop stories in my anticipatory set related to the lesson that grabs the students attention 
  • research and see what is currently trending in young students lives and incorporate those ideas into my lessons.  

1 comment:

  1. excellent reflection! Great goals! I loved your props and your voice will get better as you practice with kids.

    ReplyDelete